Pilates has been around for over 90 years. Developed by Joseph Pilates and originally called ‘Contrology’, it comprises of a series of exercises designed to create a strong, flexible and adaptable body.
Joseph Pilates underpinned his exercise with principles that focused the mind, creating controlled and precise movement.
Originally developed on elite bodies, the exercises can be very challenging to ‘normal’ bodies, particularly if there are movement restrictions or injury. Our Pilates teachers will breakdown the original exercises and adapt them to individual abilities.
By performing the exercises and understanding the underlying principles, the benefits of pilates can be many. Here are a few:
- Increased awareness of correct posture and alignment
- Development of a strong, flexible and lean body
- Identification of causes of muscle tension or discomfort
- Restoration of natural movement with ease
- Mind, body and soul connection
- Release of tension